Day 3 - Cross Member

 

 

G-Force Performance sent me their RC200 cross member with the idea of bolting it in the stock location and welding a steel plate to the bottom of it to mount the tranny on. This seemed like a good idea. We start again the next Sat. (3/9/2002). We took the RC700 out, since all it was doing was holding the weight off of the engine while I waited for the new one. Comparing the two we noticed the different mounting points. After a few bangs with a hammer we got the RC200 up. Lowering the tranny back down we noticed that the tail end of the tranny rested on top of the cross member not allowing it to drop far enough down out of the floor pan. This wasn't going to work either. By this time we decided to MIF it (Make it Fit). Howard, my savior again, said that we could make this work with a little cutting and some more steel. I figured, what did I have to lose. I wasn't going to let this be the end and I had come to far to stop now. So I gave him the go ahead. We took a bunch of measurements and started cutting.

In the vice it went and we made some scribes. Saw-Zaw again became our best friend.

This is the piece of steel that G-Force Performance sent me to weld to the bottom perpendicularly to mount the tranny on. We decided to use it as a support.

We where going to leave the bottom portion of the cross member there and weld the piece of steel to, but we screwed up and cut the bottom instead of the top. Hey where all allowed a screw up here and there. ;)

This is the piece of steel welded to the bottom.

Our first plan was to make this cut in the cross member and move it forward so the tranny comes straight down it. Then we realized we still had to put more steel in there so why not use the stock holes and extend it a bit. As you could probably guess we decided not to use our nice new holes Brantley and I spent an hour drilling with a slow speed drill. Talk about sore arms. :)

We welded some scrap metal to box it back in for some added strength.

A little paint helps.

With this "new" cross member in there we took another piece of steel and ran it perpendicular to the cross member. Before any welding was done we drilled the hole and mounted it to the tranny and tranny mount. After we had it sitting where we wanted it then we weld it. Since we had some clearance we decided we would box the back in for added strength. This was the best thing we could do for strength.

A 1/4" steel spacer was needed between the transmission mount and our cross member. This gave us just the right clearance.

This is the finished project besides a quick paint job.

It's a little rough, due to the rough steel, but it looks good to me. It should work. I might take it back out at some point and give it a quick run over and re-spray Not important now though.

To test strength while it was in the air I did a pull up on it. It never moved. I guess the real test is going to be when I put some real torque to it. I should have my shifter stick and drive shaft shortened by next Sat.

Stayed tuned for the final Sat.